Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fifty Shades

About two months ago, I pre-ordered the re-released prints of the Fifty Shades trilogy. I'd heard nothing but raving reviews about them, and I was excited to get my hands on them.

They came in the mail this week. I opened them up on Tuesday. Before I did, however, I heard a discussion about them on The Bert Show on Q100. Women were calling in who had read them, saying that they were a great love story. I also heard the word "bondage" more than once, and I immediately pictured some twisted serial-killer craziness. Apparently, the books talk about lots of "taboo" things that most women don't talk about, and apparently there are some women in Atlanta very turned on by these ideas. There were women calling in saying that the books helped them spice things up with their own lover. I stayed tuned into my radio, taking in what every radio caller had to say, and I have to admit, it got me curious.

I don't read the passion romance grocery store novels, and I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the book. But I quickly got sucked in, and before I knew it, I was 350 pages deep. "Fifty Shades" is different. Very different.
It's about a young college graduate, Anastasia Steele, who stands in on a newspaper interview for her best friend, only to come face-to-face with rich bachelor Christian Grey. They're instantly attracted to each other, but there is a problem. Christian is a violent sexual sadist- he thinks of himself as a Dominant, and all of his partners as Submissives. Anastasia is a virgin with no experience at all. The series is about how they find a balance to make it work. There are explicit sex scenes, but they don't come off trashy. The entire storyline is so intriguing.
It's really cool to think about the positions and roles in this book and how they would affect our love lives if we applied them in real life. It's an experiment I plan on putting to the test soon ;)

I just finished Book II, and am moving on to Book III. If you're looking for a new series, I've found it!

No comments:

Post a Comment